The Part-Time Fee Waiver
If you attend UCR part-time, you may be entitled to a reduced tuition rate. To qualify, undergraduates must meet certain requirements and submit an Undergraduate Petition for Unit/Fee Reduction. For graduate students, contact the Graduate Division for forms and details. For School of Medicine students, please contact the School of Medicine directly for more information.
If approved, you will pay one-half of your applicable tuition. If you qualify for nonresident status, you will also pay one-half of your nonresident supplemental tuition fee. You will still need to pay all campus-based fees (including the Student Services Fee) in full. At the time of the tuition and fee payment deadline, if your part-time fee waiver has not been approved, you are responsible for using one of the available payment options to pay your fees. A refund will be applied if your form is subsequently approved.
Part-time fee waivers are due by noon on the Friday of the second week of the quarter. Please see below for additional details.
Who can apply for a part-time fee waiver?
- Undergraduate students with a dean-approved course load of 10 units or fewer may apply.
- Graduate students with six units or fewer may apply.
When does a part-time fee waiver have to be submitted?
- Each quarter you intend to enroll in 10 units or fewer.
- Before NOON on the Friday of the second week of instruction. See the calendar for details.
- Please note: we do not process waivers until your enrollment is reduced to 10 units or fewer.
Can international students apply for part-time fee waiver?
- Federal regulations require international students with F-1 or J-1 immigration status to maintain a full course load of 12 units each quarter.
- Dropping below 12 units without consulting an international student advisor at the International Students and Scholars (ISS) Office jeopardizes legal status.
- Federal regulations allow for a drop below 12 units in very limited circumstances. If you are an international student considering part-time status, it is essential that you talk to an advisor at the ISRC before dropping classes or filing a part-time waiver.
Does a part-time fee waiver impact financial aid?
- Your award may be reduced if you receive a part-time fee reduction. You could also face a unit deficit affecting future financial aid eligibility.
- We strongly recommend consulting your financial aid counselor before reducing your course load in order to determine the impact part-time status could have on your aid.
Are employees eligible for a part-time fee waiver?
No, employees who are utilizing the Employee Reduced Fee Enrollment Policy are not eligible for the part-time fee waiver. Please visit Human Resources for more information on reduced-fee eligibility for employees.