Cancellation, Withdrawal, Absence and Readmission  


Leaving and Returning to UCR

Whether you're taking a break from UCR or applying to return - we can help. See clear instructions on how to cancel your registration, withdraw from UCR, take a leave of absence or apply for readmission. 

It may help you to note that "cancellation" takes place before the first day of instruction and "withdrawal" takes place after classes have begun.


Cancel Your Registration

If you registered and paid fees but are now unable to attend UCR, you may cancel your registration prior to the first day of instruction. You will receive a full refund of most (but not all) fees. See the Refund Table for details. Please note that if financial aid has been disbursed and refunded it will be reversed and you will be responsible for the return of any financial aid refunds. Students cannot drop their last class in R’Web. To cancel fully from the term, please follow the steps below. 

Beginning the first day of instruction, if you no longer plan to attend UCR, you must formally withdraw. See the Withdraw section for more details.

How to Cancel:

Create a letter or email stating that you want to cancel your registration. Include your full name, the quarter you are cancelling and the reason for cancellation.

By Email:

Send an email from your R'Mail student account to:Registrar Help Desk

By Mail:

Send your letter early to ensure it will arrive prior to the first day of instruction.

Office of the Registrar
2249 Student Services Building
University of California Riverside
Riverside, CA 92521-0118

In Person:

Bring your letter to the Highlander One Stop Shop (HOSS) on the first floor of the Student Services Building.

Withdraw From a Class

  • If you want to drop a class through the add/drop period, you can select Drop in the “Registration” icon of R’Web.
  • If you want to drop a class after the add/drop period, you actually need to "withdraw" from it. This is an enrollment adjustment.
  • Keep in mind, when you withdraw from a course, a "W" will appear on your transcript instead of a grade.
  • If you're planning on withdrawing from ALL of your classes, you should officially withdraw from the university. 
  • You cannot drop your last class in R'Web. To withdraw fully for the term, please follow the steps below. 

Withdraw From the University

If, beginning on the first day of instruction, you find you are not going to attend UCR any longer, you must formally withdraw from the university. The process depends on your college:

  • CHASS and BCOE students may withdraw by completing an undergraduate Application for Withdrawal.
  • CNAS and SoBA students who wish to withdraw should first schedule a meeting with their advisor.
  • Graduate students should contact the Graduate Division.

Can't I just drop all of my classes in R'Web?
NO! You still need to complete official withdrawal procedures and paperwork per your college's instructions. If you do not do this properly, your refund amount may be compromised. The system will prevent you from dropping your last class through self-service. If you plan to withdraw from the university, you must complete the withdrawal procedure.

No Matter What: Consult Financial Aid First

It is very important to consult with Financial Aid before deciding to withdraw. If you withdraw before completing 60% of the quarter, a prorated portion of aid must be returned to the federal government and will be deducted from your refund. In addition, if you receive a refund of fees, your Cal Grant must be reduced to the amount of the actual systemwide fees (educational fee plus registration fee), which you are charged for the quarter (initial amount assessed less refunded amount). If that amount exceeds the amount of your refund, you may end up owing money to federal and state aid programs.


The percentage of tuition and fees that you are refunded depends on when you withdraw and what type of student you are. Not all fees are refundable. See the Refund Table for details.

If you are a new student who receives Title IV federal financial aid and withdraw before the end of week six of your first quarter, you will receive a prorated refund.

Take a Leave of Absence

  • Graduate students who wish to apply for a leave of absence should contact the Graduate Division.
  • During a leave of absence, you are not considered an active UCR student.
  • Contact Financial Aid before deciding to take a leave of absence.

Planned Educational Leave Program (PELP)

Undergraduate students may interrupt their regular education for one year (or less) for a variety of reasons including clarifying educational goals, gaining practical experience away from campus or completing a program that will benefit their academic life. In order to qualify, you must have completed at least one quarter at UCR and be in good academic standing. If you have F-1 visa status, you cannot participate in this program. See the PELP information sheet for full details.

PELP Information Sheet
PELP Application

Planned University Leave Program (PULP)

PULP is for undergraduate students who plan to take a break from UCR to study at another academic institution within the United States and outside of the UC system. Contact the dean of your college if you are interested in participating in PULP.

PULP Information Sheet
PULP Application

Planned Opportunities Abroad Agreement (POAA)

POAA allows students to study abroad with a non-UC program and return to UCR without having to apply for readmission. Contact LaSharon McLean Perez or Stacey Marsalisi for POAA advising and forms.

Apply for Readmission

You must apply for readmission to UCR if:

  • You have been away for one or more quarters.
  • Your student status lapsed due to lost classes and/or failure to pay fees.

How to Apply

  • If you have been away for one or more quarters please see the Application for Readmission for specific requirements and process details. Ensure you submit your readmission by the deadlines posted below.
  • If your student status lapsed due to lost classes and/or failure to pay fees, you must go to the Highlander One Stop Shop (HOSS) to request readmission for the term. Full payment upon readmission is expected, so please plan accordingly. Readmission after lapse must be completed by the end of the add/drop period. 

Application Deadlines

Quarter of Readmission Application Deadline
Spring 2018 January 8, 2018
Fall 2018 June 25, 2018
Winter 2019 September 27, 2018
Spring 2019 January 7, 2019


  • If you earned credit at another institution while you were away (including UCR Extension), you must send those transcripts to Undergraduate Admissions six weeks before your readmission quarter begins.
  • If your readmission is approved, you must complete the Statement of Legal Residence again (if you are away for three quarters or more).


Please contact your college directly:
Readmission to the Bourns College of Engineering (BCOE)
Readmission to the College of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences (CHASS)
Readmission to the College of Natural and Agricultural Sciences (CNAS)
School of Business Administration (SoBA) Undergraduate Program
Graduate Division