CRAMS Frequently Asked Questions

What does "Priority Enrollment" in the Closing Notes mean?

The Committee on Courses has determined that courses can be approved with an enrollment priority for a term of three years. After three years, the course will be able to be offered, but the priority enrollment aspect of it will not be allowed unless the course is submitted through the course proposal process and it is re-approved.

What fields do I update for adding Priority Enrollment?

When updating a course for adding Priority Enrollment (without changing any other item in the prerequisite):

  • Update the Closing Notes field with the following:  “requesting priority enrollment”
  • Update the Justification section in the Prerequisite field with the following: “Adding enrollment priority statement. Please see programs affected section for specific enrollment priority statement per course specialist office.” If deleting a priority enrollment statement, update the justification in the prerequisite with: “Deleting priority enrollment.” It is important to fill in the justification so a change bar shows while everyone reviews the course (including the College Executive Committee and Committee on Courses).
  • Add the enrollment priority statement in the Affected Programs field. For example: “Enrollment priority during junior and senior enrollment is given to Business Economics majors, Economics majors and minors, Economics/Administrative Studies majors and Economics/Law and Society majors.”
  • The Affected Programs field also needs to include the other courses impacted by the proposal so that all departments will know which programs will be affected. You discover impacted courses by requesting reports.
  • If the enrollment priority statement does not have all majors listed in the report, you will have a justification to list in the affected program tab immediately under the enrollment priority statement. For example: “After junior and senior enrollment period the class will be opened to the entire campus. Additionally, students in these programs have other course options to choose from besides ECON 104A; BA in Art History/Administrative Studies; BA in History/Administrative Studies; BA in Political Science/Administrative Studies; BA/BS in Sociology/Administrative Studies.”
  • If that is the case, you should send the report details in an email. For example: “Program search information: ECON 104A- BA in Art History/Administrative Studies; BA in Economics; BA in Business Economics; BA in Economics/Administrative Studies; BA in Economics/Law and Society; Minor in Economics; BA in History/Administrative Studies; BA in Political Science/Administrative Studies; BA/BS in Sociology/Administrative Studies.”
  • Update the course proposal as necessary with other updates.
  • Preview the course and make sure all information is in the required fields and there is a change bar on the Prerequisite field.
  • Submit the proposal in time for the posted deadlines as you would any other proposal.

What does "Sunset Clause" mean?

"Sunset Clause" is the term the Committee on Courses uses to state that Priority Enrollment for any course will lapse after three years. An updated course proposal will be needed if a department wants to continue to keep Priority Enrollment for the course for another term.

What does "NOFY" stand for?

NOFY stands for “Not Offered for Four Years.” The Committee on Courses sends out a report every year in September* that shows courses that fall into one of the following categories:

  • Courses that were not offered for four years
  • Courses that were canceled or had zero enrollment every time they were offered
  • Regular session courses that were offered only during a summer session

*Contact the Academic Senate Analyst if you have not received the yearly report.

My course was cross-listed, but after I updated the description and removed one prerequisite, my course is no longer linked with the other course(s). How did it become unlinked? How do I re-link it to its partner?

When updating a cross-listed course, the cross-listed course(s) will unlink (not show the cross-listed courses) as you update/save the course.

Before you submit the updated course, you need to check that the cross-listed course(s) are in the Cross-listed field of the Description/Grading/Etc. tab, under the Cross-listed with: field, in CRAMS.

You will need to re-link the cross-listed course(s). To re-link the cross-listed course(s) see Dealing With Cross-Listed Courses under Initiating Department (creates or updates SOC 100) starting at #2.

How do I know if I need to request a course search or/and program search report?

You must request reports if you are:

  • Deleting a course
  • Renumbering a course
  • Changing a course title
  • Changing the units
  • Changing a cross-listing
  • Changing a credit statement
  • Submitting a course proposal with an enrollment priority statement or restriction

You can request reports through our online form.

I submitted my course but it’s cross-listed with another course that didn’t get submitted, what should I do so my course can move forward?

Cross-listed courses are courses that are exactly the same. In CRAMS, use the Search/Modify feature to search for the cross-listed course that is cross-listed with your current course proposal; the course should be RED. See Location of Courses for help searching for a course.

EXAMPLES of what you might see in Determining the Location of a Course Proposal for cross-listed courses:

If your submitted course says “WAITING” This means the course is waiting for cross- listed partner(s) department approval

The cross-listed partner(s) will say  “Saved - (New, Changed, Deleted).” Then the course is in the departments’ WIPQ of that course(s) department. It may be in a certain preparer’s WIPQ (click College/Department tab, in CRAMS, to see who may have it).

The primary course submitter’s responsibility is to contact the department preparer of all cross-listed course(s), to get the cross-listed course(s) approved and sent forward. When all cross-listed partner(s) have been approved by their department(s) and submitted, the course status will change to “Submitted (New, Changed, or Deleted).” If the primary course or any other course(s) that are cross-listed say “WAITING,” that means the course proposal(s) are still “WAITING” for department approval and have not been sent on with department approval dates to the Registrar Office.

If the cross-listed course(s) are un-cross-listed and have not be “saved” in the WIPQ of their department WIPQ and the primary course has been submitted, then ask the Office of the Registrar to return the submitted course so you can re-cross-list the course(s).

If you are unable to find the cross-listed course(s) from using the Search/Modify Course instructions and/or Location of Courses, contact the Office of the Registrar to help in your search.

Why do I need to request a report if I’m only changing the course title?

Changing the title of a course affects inventory in SIS. Any proposal that affects inventory requires at the least a program search to keep the records straight and to keep a history.

How do I insert the Committee on Courses extension approval in the Faculty Correspondence field?

Using Microsoft Word, highlight the entire extension request, right click and select copy. Then open CRAMS Faculty Correspondence field by using Modify. Then, select the icon for paste in CRAMS. The file will be pasted into the field. Next select SC or File Save & Close. Lastly, select the yellow Save Work button to save the information.

When is the latest that I can submit my course proposal and have it approved for the current term so I can offer it?

Check Dates and Deadlines for the course proposal deadlines.

Course(s) have a process and are “routed” differently please looking at general routing process, routing should be considered if you intend to request an extension (late submission request)

If you are past the deadline you will need a late submission request. Fill in the late submission request and send email to: the Course Specialist, and cc staff support- committee analyst, as well as the Chair of Committee on Courses.

Do I have to submit a new syllabus with the course proposal or can I just leave the old one in?

A new syllabus is required for “New”, “Restored”, and/or substantially changed courses.

Substantially changed courses include courses that have increased the units and/or the activities have changed. The Committee on Courses needs to determine if the proposed activities have the necessary requirements to reflect the units.

How do I find a course that was renumbered?

Use the Search/Modify Course tab in CRAMS (see Searching for Courses [RELATIVE LINK]) and select the course that was renumbered from. For example, if SOC 040 was renumbered to SOC 002M, enter SOC 040 in the Subject Area and Course Number fields and select approved in the course tracking (because SOC 040 has been approved previously). The rest of the fields should be set to <list>. Open the course identification tab for SOC 040 and look in the Closing Notes field. NOTE: The Closing Notes field will be populated when the new course has been approved.

If the renumbered course has not been approved yet, then using the Search/Modify Course tab in CRAMS, you need to leave the Course Number field and course tracking as <list>, only populating the Subject Area and the Course Level fields (SOC, undergraduate). You will come up with all courses in the subject area and course levels that are applicable to your search needs. All courses that are “in process” will be highlighted in RED. Selecting the courses in RED and reviewing the Course Identification tab by looking on the Renumbered From field, you will be able to find your course. Then using Location of Courses and Searching for a Course, you will be able to find your courses that are “in process.”

How do I find an (E-Z) segment course?

There are two kinds of (E-Z) segment courses. First, there are (E-Z) segment courses with (E-Z) segments in the course number identification. The course number identification includes: subject area, course number and course suffix. An example of this would be SOC 002J. SOC is the subject area, 002 is the number and J is the suffix.

To find this type of course, you would use the Search/Modify Course process, filling in the Subject Area, Course Number and Course Suffix, with all the rest of the fields as <list>.

All courses that are in process will be highlighted in RED.

All other courses including approved courses will appear in “white”

The second kind of (E-Z) segments (course suffix) are those listed within the Description. An example of this would be SOC 183 which lists the course suffix within the description: “Explores special topics in sociology. H. Aging in America; M. Geographic Information Systems and Mapping in Sociology and other Social Sciences: Principles, Techniques, and Research.

To find this type of (E-Z) segment use the Search/Modify Course process, filling in the Subject Area, Course Number and Course Suffix, with all the rest of the fields as <list>.

All courses that are in process will be highlighted in RED.

All courses approved will appear in “white”

Review the Description/Grading/Etc. tab to help you in identifying the course you are searching for.

If you are unsure of what kind of Umbrella (E-Z) segment you are looking for, use the second kind of search above.

What is the process of an exception (late submission) request?

An exception request is used when the course submission has passed the deadline date.

Complete the exception request.

Email the request to the and

If it is approved, the Committee on Courses chair will email the approved document to the requesting department and cc the course specialist, Committee on Courses analyst and any others listed on the original email.

After receiving the email with the approved extension, copy and paste the Word document into the Faculty Correspondence field within the CRAMS course proposal.

Lastly, submit the course through the CRAMS process, after you have completed the entire course proposal as required in CRAMS.

Is there a shortcut to receiving an approval on a course/or having a course approved?

No, there is no short cut or EASY button. All course(s) must be submitted through the UCR Course Request and Maintenance System (CRAMS).