- At the CRAMS main menu, click Create a New Course.
- If necessary, at the College/Department tab change the college, department, and contact information.
- Click the Course Identification tab and complete all applicable fields.
- Subject Area: Choose from the drop-down list (if no subject area appears, check that you have selected
a college and department at the College/Department tab).
- Course Number and Course Suffix: Type in the fields. After you save the course (using the Save
Work button), the course number and suffix will appear and remain in the blue bar
at the very top of the screen.
- Course Title and E-Z Segment Subtitle: Double-click to enter this information.
- 1st Effective Quarter and Year: Choose from the drop-down lists.
- Course Level and Course Type: Choose from the drop-down lists.
- Offered in summer sessions only: Click in the box.
- Requires approval of the University Honors Program ("H" or "HNPG"): Click in the box.
- Print E-Z segment in General Catalog: Click in the box.
- To be offered once only: Click in the box. Note that the Last Effective Quarter is automatically filled in
when the box is checked.
- Click the Units/Offered/Hrs/Prereq tab and complete all applicable fields.
- Quarter(s) offered: Double-click in the blue field. At the next screen choose a
quarter orother option from the drop-down list and click Add (click Remove ifnecessary).
Click in the box beside each option to print only that option in theCatalog. Or click
in the box under the option drop-down list to print all options inthe Catalog. (The
Catalog editor can change which options are printed in the Catalog at Catalog call
time.) If you add multiple options you can move them upor down with the arrows. Click
OK to exit the screen.
- Minimum Units and Maximum Units: Click on the up or down arrows to choose the Units (both Minimum and Maximum must
be chosen). Choose To/Or from the drop-down list.
- Activity: Choose the Activity, Hours (both Minimum and Maximum must be chosen), To/Or, per
(Week/Quarter), and Group/Individual (if not the default) from the drop-down lists
and then click Add. Repeat for all remaining activities. Use the Remove button to
delete incorrect activities. Use the up and down arrows to resort the activities according
to how they should appear in the Catalog.
- Other Activity & Hrs: Double-click in the blue field to enter activities that do not fit the parameters in c) above (e.g., one Saturday
field trip per quarter).
- Prerequisite(s): Double-click to enter the prerequisite(s). Do not capitalize the first word unless
it is a proper noun (e.g., graduate standing, not Graduate standing).
- Click the Description/Grading/Etc. tab and complete all applicable fields.
- Catalog Description: Double-click in the field and enter the description.The preparer can use spell check,
insert special characters, or make words italic. A message will ask whether the description
follows style guidelines.
- Grading Type: Choose from the drop-down list. Follow the directions to choose a Standard Grading
Statement or type in an Other Grading statement.
- In-Progress Grading: Click in the box. Indicate in the Other Grading Statement field that the course
has In-Progress grading. Note: Do not do either for the last course of the sequence.
- Grading Statements: If instructed to do so, choose a Standard Grading Statement from the drop-down list
or double-click in the Other Grading Statement field and type in a statement. You
may need to complete both fields if you chose In-Progress grading. Note: The contents
of the Grading Statement fields are automatically added to the Catalog Description
in the Catalog.
- Course is repeatable to a maximum of ___ units: Click in the box and enter the number of units for the maximum repeatable if applicable.
Note: One of the
following statements is automatically added to the Catalog Description in the Catalog:
If repeatable, may be taken more than once per quarter: Click Yes or No
Repeatability Conditions: To change the statement added to the Catalog per section e) above, choose a replacement statement from the drop-down list in the Standard Repeatability
Conditions field or double-click in the Other Repeatability Conditions field and type
in a replacement statement.
Cross-listed with: Complete the remainder of the course request and then follow the instructions in
the "Dealing with Cross-Listed Courses Guide" to complete this field. Note: The content of this field is automatically added to
the Catalog Description in the Catalog.
Credit Statement: Double-click in the field and enter a statement about the overlapping course content
(e.g., Credit is awarded for only one of XXX or XXX). Note: The content of this field
is automatically added to the Catalog Description in the Catalog.
Breadth Requirement Statements (only for CPAC, ETST, HASS, MCS, WMST): Choose a Breadth Requirement Statement from the drop-down list or double-click in
the Other Breadth Requirement Statement field and type in a statement. Note: The contents
of these fields are automatically added to the Catalog Description in the Catalog.
- Course is repeatable.
- Course is repeatable to a maximum of xx units.
- To replace the statement in the Catalog with a different one, see section g) below.
- Click the Instructor(s) tab.
- Enter the instructor's first name, middle initial (optional), and last name in the
white fields. If appropriate, add "in charge" in the Last Name field (e.g., Last Namefield
= Smith in charge). Choose the title from the drop-down list.
- Choose Add instructor.
- Repeat steps a) and b) above for additional instructors. Use Remove Instructor to delete an instructor.
Use the up and down arrows to reorder instructors alphabetically.
- Print instructor name in the General Catalog: Check the main Print Instructor Name box or the boxes beside the individual instructors
to indicate which instructors (last name only) you want to print in the Catalog. (The
Catalog editor can add or remove the names at Catalog call time.)
- Click the Other Courses/Programs tab. Click in the Yes/No fields to answer the questions. If necessary, double-click in
the blue fields to enter information.
- Click the Approvals tab. Click in the fields to enter electronic signatures and approval dates as required.
- Click the Change Summary tab. This page shows the changes made in the course proposal. To go directly to any field,
click on the field name.
- Click the Justification button (bottom left of the screen) and enter the justification for the new course. You may
copy and paste this text from another document into the field. Close the justification
by clicking SC (Save and Close) on the upper tool bar.
- Click the Syllabus button (bottom of the screen) and enter the syllabus for the new course. You may copy and
paste this text from another document into the field. Close the syllabus by clicking
SC (Save and Close) on the upper tool bar.
- Click the Faculty Correspondence button (bottom of the screen) if you need to enter faculty correspondence. You may copy
and paste this text from another document into the field. Close the field by clicking
SC (Save and Close) on the upper tool bar.
- Click the Comments button (top middle of the screen) if you wish to send comments to the Reviewer. Close the
field by clicking SC (Save and Close) on the upper tool bar.
- If the course is cross-listed, follow the instructions in the "Dealing with Cross-Listed Courses Guide".
- Save the course by clicking Save Work (top left of the screen). You can save at any time when creating or modifying a course.
- To exit the course without submitting, click Menu (top right of the screen). However, to submit the course, skip step 16 and go to step 17.
NOTE: To subsequently retrieve the course, access it through the Work-in-Progress Queue(WIPQ)
at the CRAMS main menu. The second graphic below shows the WIPQ. Saved new courses
show in tan, saved modified courses in green, and courses returned from the Reviewer
(or approver) in red. At the bottom left of the WIPQ screen is a drop-down list for
choosing a particular subject area.
- To proofread the course, click Proofread (top middle of screen) and use the form format that appears to proofread
your input. Close the form to return to the CRAMS database and update the course if
- To submit the course to the Reviewer (Courses Office), click Submit Course (top middle of screen). If you
find you have submitted in error, call the Reviewer to have the course returned to